Albert's Dog Lounge Adoption policies
Our goal is to place our seniors into permanent, loving homes for the rest of their golden years. The information you provide on your application will assist us in determining the best dog for you and your lifestyle.
1. Albert’s Dog Lounge is a 100% foster based non-profit dog rescue primarily focused on senior, special needs, and hospice dogs.
2. All applicants must be 21 or older.
3. Please do not apply to adopt one of our dogs if it will not live in your home with you as a family member, be kept indoors during the day or any extended length of time without supervision, or the dogs that you currently own are being kept outside.
4. Prior to adoption, all dogs will be spayed/neutered and provided the following:
Rabies, DHLPP, Bordetella, a microchip, preventatives for both heartworm and flea/tick, evidence of a negative heartworm test or evidence of treatment following the National Heartworm Societies recommended protocol, a health certificate issued by a veterinarian, and evidence of any additional medical treatment deemed necessary by Albert’s Dog Lounge.
This includes, but is not limited to, biopsies, pathologies, cytology, histopathology, surgical notes, blood panels, etc.
5. Albert’s Dog Lounge does not do same day adoptions.
6. Adoption fee is $250.00 for one dog, unless otherwise indicated. If adopting a bonded pair, adoption fee is $400.
7. We accept applications from within the following area: Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Eastern Iowa, and Eastern Minnesota. We only do adoptions within a 5 (five) hour radius of our headquarters in Whitewater, WI unless otherwise approved. All potential adopters are expected to come and meet their new potential family member once approved.
We do not ship or deliver dogs.
We do not adopt dogs as gifts.
8. All dogs in the applicant's household must be spayed/neutered, receiving routing wellness exams and up-to-date on vaccines, unless under the guidance/recommendation of a certified veterinarian. Indoor cats must be spayed/neutered, and up-to-date on rabies. Outdoor cats must be spayed/neutered.
9. No adoption will be formalized until you have met with the animal, all family members must meet the dog, unless approved otherwise.
10. All applications received will be processed with the best interests of the dog in mind, to ensure a successful adoption for your family.
We do not hold dogs once they are placed in foster care. Even if you seem like the perfect match for a particular dog, we will not hold a dog in a foster home to wait for you to get approved. It is not fair to the dog should another equally good match be approved and want to adopt.
Similarly, we will not hold on to a dog for you to schedule a meet greet with the dog. We ask for meet and greets to occur within 48 hours of formal approval.
Once you have met the dog and determined it is a match, we can only hold the dog an additional 24 hours, unless approved by the board in advance. It is not fair to the dog, to the foster home, or to another needy dog waiting to come into rescue.
We recommend that you get approved before you see a dog you want so that when the right match comes along, you will be ready.
11. After your application has been received, it will be processed for a veterinarian check (as applicable), a background check, and personal reference checks (as deemed necessary).
12. There will be a home visit for all dog adoptions. This may be done in-person, or virtually, as determined by the adoption coordinator.
13. Most of our volunteers and foster families work full time, have families and have pets of their own, so please be patient. We will get back to you as soon as possible!
14. Our dogs have not been trained as individual therapy companions and cannot be adopted for this purpose.
15. It is understood that Albert’s Dog Lounge assumes NO responsibility for damage to property or to injuries caused by the said dog to persons or to other pets once the adoption is formalized.
16. Every reasonable effort has been made by Albert’s Dog Lounge to screen potentially aggressive or dangerous dogs. However, no claims, assertions, or guarantees are made as to the predictive reliability of said dog’s personality or behavior. Albert’s Dog Lounge does not give any warranties covering the health or temperament of any dog (neither expressed nor implied).
17. All adoptions are on a two week trial period. Any time within that two weeks, said dog may be returned for a full refund of the adoption fee. If, after this two week trial, the dog does not work out, the dog must still be returned to Albert’s Dog Lounge. No refund will be given outside of the two week trial period.
18. All adopters are required to sign a contract at the time of adoption, agreeing to the above mentioned, as well as the following:
The dog will wear a safe collar or harness with rabies tags, and have up-to date personal identification tags on at all times with adopter’s information including name, phone number, and a second contact number.
The dog will be provided with fresh food and water, daily exercise, and adequate time and attention to ensure the good emotional health of the dog.
The adopter will agree to contact Albert’s Dog Lounge IMMEDIATELY in the event the dog becomes lost. In addition, the adopter make all reasonable efforts to find the dog, such as posting signs, placing an ad in the local papers, and visiting animal control facilities.
The dog will be kept up to date on all shots, flea prevention, any necessary licensing, and on heartworm prevention throughout the year.
The dog will visit a veterinarian at least once per year for shots and an annual health check, and the adopter will agree to be responsible for any vet bills incurred for the life of this dog and the contract with Albert’s Dog Lounge.
The dog safe from predators and unsafe situations. At NO TIME should the dog be used for or in the training of dog fighting animals, or otherwise placed in dangerous or life threatening situations.
19. Albert’s Dog Lounge reserves the right to refuse an adoption to anyone for any reason. All adoption decisions are confidential and final.
20. If you are going on vacation or moving, please apply AFTER YOU RETURN or when settled into your new home, unless applying for preapproval and/or are willing to wait.
21. Albert’s Dog Lounge will take in local owner surrenders, when there is foster availability.
Albert's Dog Lounge does not require an owner surrender fee, but encourages a donation toward the care of your pet being surrendered.
An owner surrender form is required, along with any copies of vet records for the past 3 years.
The owner will be required to take the dog to the foster home, unless other arrangements have been agreed upon by both parties.
Unfortunately, we cannot intake any dogs with a bite risk, bite history, and/or dogs that are not people or dog friendly.
Your adoption donation also helps to provide continued veterinary care for the dogs still waiting to be adopted.
You are not buying a dog. You’re making a donation to help save multiple lives!